Tuesday, October 31, 2017

My Halloween Ghost Story

I don't usually have any stories to tell.  I kind of have little snippets of my life in these posts, but this actually happened to me this summer, so I will share it with you.

In July of this year my boyfriend Mike had a bout with kidney stones.  It was bad enough that he had to have surgery to remove or blast them or whatever they do.  So, I was picking him up from the hospital and had lots of time to kill because the surgery had taken longer than expected.

Right down the road from the hospital in Lockport is one of my favorite old cemeteries.  The Cold Springs Cemetery.  I have walked through this cemetery many times just because I love the way they took the time to make things so beautiful back before it was all function and boring.  There are always hills and stone walls and beautiful trees in old cemeteries.  Not to mention interesting headstones and mausoleums.  

So I was killing time, so to speak, and walking through the oldest section at Cold Springs.   I wasn't really there but a few minutes when the wind started to blow and the sky was already dark that day.  The trees above me, which have got to be 100 year old trees were shaking and blowing from side to side.  I remember thinking it was kind of cool because I love weather and storms.  

I took a few pictures of the headstones and the trees.  And I wandered.  About a minute later, the wind picked up, it almost howled and big drops of rain started to fall.  I got a little scared because of the massive trees swaying above me and I ran to my van, phone in hand.

As soon as I started to open my door, my phone went haywire and was taking pictures over and over and over.  I set the phone down in the console of the van and it was still taking pictures.  My hands were not touching it at all.

I thought nothing of this because it happened so fast and I was thinking a rain drop must have fallen into the phone somehow and made it crazy.  It continued to rain and I just drove out of there.

I went about the day and didn't think of it again until Mike was home and I was getting things out of the van.  My phone was still in the console and I grabbed it and thought I'd check out the pictures the phone took randomly.  I did this mindlessly, like doing dishes or something.  I looked at the pictures.  A couple of the ground, delete, delete.  One of my hand or something, delete.  Another one of the inside of the door, delete.  This one of half my head and trees above me, and I remember thinking, "oooh that one is creepy", delete.  And then it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I was in the cemetery during a storm and my phone took creepy pictures BY ITSELF!  My heart was pounding a little.

Before I ran in to tell Mike I deleted the rest of the pictures.  I felt like I was compelled to delete them.  I usually leave pictures in my phone until it's full.  I never delete my pictures!  And you know I would have analyzed every single frame if they still existed.  I even googled how to get the pictures back after deleting them.  Too difficult.

So of course later I did an internet search to see if Cold Springs is haunted.  Of course it is!  And there are several websites claiming so.  There is a recurring story of a hitchhiker girl in the 70's or 80's (?) that was murdered or disappeared and people reported seeing her ghost in the road by Cold Springs.  Some one said they actually picked up a girl hitchhiker and turned to ask her a question and she wasn't there anymore.  There is also a few stories about people's electronic devices acting strange.  Hmmm...  Below are the only pictures I had left from that day.  They are all pictures from BEFORE the camera went batty.

Well, that's my ghost story for you on this beautiful Halloween morning.  Have an enchanted day everyone!








 


2 comments:

  1. Spooky I love stories like this, but glad it didn't happen to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this stuff too. It wasn't scary while I was there so it was okay. It freaked me out more after I was home. weirdness

      Delete