Friday, October 27, 2017

I can't think of a good title for this post. Let's call it "I don't want to move to Mars so I'm giving up pie for a year". ( I got up really early this morning).

Good morning all of you.  I have been awake for awhile on this chilly morning because my brain won't stop.  I find that sometimes I need to write things down that bother me and keep me awake so I can let them go.  This is one of those times.

I have been an advocate for the environment and Mother Earth for as long as I remember.  I think just in the nature of being close to the earth with gardening, teaching myself to be an herbalist, and being an animal person, I may be a little more sensitive to issues regarding our natural world than the majority of the population.  I say the majority of the population because that is what I see in the mainstream.  The television people watch, what people spend their money on, what people vote for.  Sometimes I feel I'm off somewhere on a different planet.  

But I'm not.  You and the rest of the people are on the same earth where I stand.  

I have never understood how someone can go to a place like Letchworth State Park and see so much natural beauty, and then go home and spray chemicals on their lawns to make sure the dandelions don't take root.  

I don't want to get political in this blog.  It's all been light and fluffy and cute like a puppy, but I can't turn my brain off.  I also know that I'm preaching to the choir here.  Most of my readers are not the ears I need to reach with this particular post.  You are already on board with being healthier, eating local, making a difference.  But I can't help but wonder what else I can do.  

I can only control myself and take responsibility for what I do.

How can I stop being angry that climate change is being totally ignored by mainstream media?  I see loads and loads of coverage of extreme weather.  Horrible fires engulfing people's homes.  Hurricanes, drought, flooding.  Thousands of people evacuating Florida.  Yep, the media is all over it because it raises their ratings.  But, how often do you hear about climate change being the cause of the extremes?  I know, we have always had hurricanes, floods and fires, but the warming of the planet is making it worse and more extreme.  

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone or lost readers by voicing my opinion, but this is one of the  major reasons I am doing this blog in the first place.  The earth is the reason I'm giving up pie for a whole year!  I really love pie.

Here is the good news.  Everyone doesn't have to give up pie for a whole year and do what I'm doing.  We all have the same voice.   And not everyone has to write a blog about it.  We can vote with our money.  What you don't buy is just as important as what you do buy.  Every dollar you don't spend is a dollar the huge conglomerations don't have to spend on lobbyists and buying politicians who are ruining this country.  Start buying local food. If you don't know where to go to get local food, ask someone.  Ask a hippie. Shop only the outer perimeter of the grocery store.  (the inside isles are full of processed food)  Cut down on plastic and use reusable bags and containers.  Stop buying chemicals for your lawn and garden.  Grow some food.  Don't waste water.  Put on a sweater and turn down the heat.  Plan your errands so you're not running around wasting gas.  You get the picture.

And the best one yet!  Let's irritate some politicians!  (Thank you Samantha Bee)  I'm going to start writing actual letters to people.  I'm starting with the EPA.  As you may already know, the jerks are trying to repeal the Clean Power Plan, along with other plans that will loosen restrictions on pollution from power plants.  I have written a letter letting them know I don't approve.  I think I may write one of these letters on a regular basis.  

Who cares if our country prospers if we have to move to Mars because we can't breathe the air and drink the water here on earth?

I'm attaching the address of the EPA below in case you decide you'd like to write a nice letter and catch up with the EPA as well.  I got this idea from watching the recent episode of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee.  She also has a letter that you can download and print to send to the EPA on her website.

Environmental Protection Agency
EPA Docket Center (EPA/DC)
Mail Code 28221T
Attention: Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2017-0355
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460

To me, having clean air, clean water and wild nature is much more important than corporations and politicians making more money.  Why do you think they've started thinking about putting people on Mars?  Because they are just going to throw away the earth and move on to the next planet they can ruin.  Imagine living with no trees, no squirrels, no beautiful lakes?  Earth is a beautiful place.  I want to stay here.  Let's take care of her.


Anybody like trees?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for saying so clearly what my heart tells every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I keep only keep my mouth closed for so long... lol

      Delete