Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Grape Juice Recipe. No Sugar Canning Method

Good morning everyone.  I forgot to add this recipe to my post the other day.  Here is how I made my grape juice and preserved it for future use.

Ingredients:
Grapes
Water

Equipment:
Glass canning jars and lids
Measuring equipment
Canning Equipment
Funnel

Prepare jars and lids like you would any other canning project.  Pour 1 cup of grapes in each quart jar, 1/2 a cup of grapes for each pint.  Add boiling water, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Process in boiling water canner for 15 minutes for quarts, 15 minutes also for pints.

This recipe is adapted from the Ball Blue Book for me because I wanted a no sugar juice.  You can add any amount of sugar you want if you like sweet juice.  I find this no sugar recipe very refreshing and tart.

I also added a few other berries that I had around, like my black nightshade berries.  The will add a little depth to the grape flavor.  Do your own experimenting.  Remember, the longer you let the grapes steep in the jar after canning, the more flavor you will have.

I may also can some wild grapes this way.  Wild grapes have a lot of tartness and a deeper flavor and I made wine with them last year that turned out better than my concord grape wine.

Another variation would be to use more grapes per jar.

2 comments: