Saturday, July 2, 2016

Turnip greens for breakfast with Ruby and Pearl

Today, I thought I'd share with you my super healthy, super yummy breakfast that I made this morning.  I have eggs a lot, usually, but our hens are 6 or 7 years old now and they have stopped laying, so I omitted the eggs and had my avocado for the protein instead.  I try to eat an avocado everyday sometime during the day. 
Stopping to smell the roses with Pearl in the garden
Breakfast started this morning out in the garden.  I drink coffee and meander through and pick things here and there before I go in and get ready to go to the shop for the day.  I noticed my turnip greens getting big and pretty and I arranged breakfast around them.  I picked a big bunch, took them inside and chopped 'em up!  I had some kale in the fridge so I added them to the mix.  I put some olive oil, turmeric (I try to add turmeric to anything I can throughout the day because it's SO good for me!) and various spices in a small saute pan. 
This picture is from last year, but it gives you and idea of what the garden looks like right now.
 
Greens are better when they aren't boiled and cooked for hours like they do on tv with collard greens.  I only cook them until they're wilty and have been covered with all the spices I put in.  At the end of cooking, which takes only a few minutes, I add a clove of garlic.  (I like raw garlic, but some people don't, so you can add this at the beginning if you want.)
 
So, after the greens are done, I set them aside on a plate and use the same pan for a perfectly ripe tomato from the produce market.  (Hiller's Produce in Burt, NY of course!)  It's still early for my tomatoes in the garden so Mike bought some.  I remember when I was in England, I stayed in B&Bs there.  The breakfast was always so awesome.  I was a vegetarian when I was there, and so I ordered everything but the meat.  The plate had beautiful, warm tomatoes that could only have been heirloom, and they heated them just until they were warm, and mushrooms beside them were the same way.  I was there in 1996, I think, and I have tried to recreate this breakfast ever since.  So I add my tomatoes cut in wedges to that same, already warm pan.  I sprinkle them with pink salt.  (Pink Himalayan Salt has none of the minerals taken out like table salt does, so it's a healthier salt and it tastes really good).
 
Next is the mushrooms.  This morning I had only a can of mushrooms, so that's what I used.  I usually try to avoid food in cans because they are lined in plastic and not good for you, but I am a busy girl and sometimes you gotta do things in a pinch!  The mushrooms just went alongside the tomatoes for just a few minutes to get them warm. 
 
Of course, to stave off the sugar cravings for the day, I eat good fats and lots of them.  I cut an avocado in half, took the pit out and ate it like watermelon with a spoon with breakfast! 
Ruby and Pearl, sleeping like angels with Morgan The Baby
 
Everything went on the same pretty plate and I sat down with Ruby and Pearl and had my breakfast.  When the girls are with me, I have to give them some of the good stuff so they each got a big pile of greens with garlic bits!  They love it!
 
Hope you all have a good day!  Maybe you can try this for lunch today!
 
Until next time...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment