Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Seed Saving

Oh my, am I having fun in the garden this week.  

I guess it shows something about my character the way my garden grows...  I get really excited for Spring to come and have spent all winter dreaming dreams about which varieties of this and that I wish to plant.  Spring comes and I plant about half of those varieties.  Summer hits and I get busy doing things, or the heat makes me lazy and the garden takes off.  By the time September gets here, the weeds are so big, you can build a house underneath them, and somehow, I have neglected myself into a place I don't even recognize.  Luckily, the fall air hits me and I get energized to nest and to put away for winter.  Which leads me to today's topic:  seed saving.

This year seems so absolutely abundant in seeds that I have a hard time ignoring it.  More and more, each year affords me the pleasure of having things reseed themselves in places throughout the garden.  It kind of justifies my tendencies to have untidy gardens.  Who knows which weed could be some amazing herb, vegetable or flower from last years planting...  This year I had a cleome seed itself on the beach, making a huge display of pink and white blooms all summer.  This years plant was actually more prolific than the plant I bought last year, that this seed must have come from.   

This year, however, I am purposefully saving seed in little paper bags.  I don't really have to do this.  Nature is the best gardener.  But I thought I can leave a little for nature to reseed for me and then I have some to share.  Sharing is one of the best things about gardening.  You always cherish that seedling or plant you received from a friend.  (Unless you're a jerk, lol)  

As you know, I did a seed giveaway in my last post.  I am hoping to do this often to inspire others and to thank you all for reading and interacting with this little blog.  I appreciate and am grateful for you.

Until next time.
Cleome that reseeded itself.


Black Turtle Beans from my friend Martha that I cherish!

Morning Glories are easy to save seed from

No comments:

Post a Comment