Thursday, June 29, 2017

Eating Only What I grow Blog Post #3



Post #3 of One Year of Eating Only What I Grow.
Things I think I'm going to miss.  I really cannot be sure what I'm going to be craving while I'm in the midst of this journey.  This list is what I feel right now, as I am still eating whatever I want, is what I'll miss about eating only the stuff I've grown. 
Number One!  CHEESE!  When a recipe goes wrong, usually just add cheese and it will make it edible at least.  Cheese makes the blandest food taste better.  Cheese can be an ingredient, and cheese can be the star in the food.  Grilled cheese, mac & cheese,  this may be something I miss.
My second regret:  Johnson Estate Wine.  Even though I'll be attempting to make enough of my own wine from grapes, wild and domestic, and blackberries and possibly beer from the hops I grow, I'll miss just going to the store and buying my favorite wine.  Proprietor's Red wine from Johnson Estate in Westfield, NY is probably my favorite.
Number Three:  Pistachios.  I love them.  You can eat a handful and be totally satisfied because they have salt and fat.  Plus, it takes time to crack them open.  Unlike other snack food where you could have eaten 3,000 calories before you feel like you've eaten anything at all.
Four:  CEREAL.  I know, cereal is bad.  Don't judge me!  I've loved cereal since childhood.  Sometimes the only way my mother could get me out of bed in the morning for school was the promise of cereal.  I loved all the bad ones we had at the time.  Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Frankenberry,  (I also loved horror movies, LOL) and Fruity Pebbles were a staple.  Of course, I really don't eat this stuff now, except occasionally, but I could if I wanted to.  In 2018, however, I am shut down from all cereal.  Bummer.
Are we on #5 already?  Avocados.  Avocados have a creamy texture and a lot of fat and they are my go to food when I have sugar cravings.  Keep that in mind.  They are the reason (besides sugar free peanut butter) that I am off sugar to this day.
Peanut Butter:  Although not a daily PB eater, the sugar free natural PB is another thing I grab when I crave sugar.  Fats are very satisfying. 
Number Seven:  Burritos.  Preferably bean burritos.  Although I could probably make masa for tortillas or some other hack for a tortilla, I'm going to miss burritos because I eat them all the time.  I'm a big fan.  Maybe I'll plant some corn to grind for a really (and I mean Really!) primitive form of tortilla.  Okay, ordering corn seeds!  Non Gmo of course!
Number Eight.  Sour cream.  This goes hand in hand with burritos.  I love refried beans and sour cream.  I cannot help myself.  Maybe I can barter with Chipotle.  LOL.
Number Nine.  Pizza.  Goes without saying.
I know most of you are thinking... what?  No meat cravings?  Truthfully, I am very lucky.  I was born without cravings for meat and I think that may be one of the reasons I'll be able to conquer this 365 days of the unknown, home grown, seed sewn adventure I face in the coming year.  I really have always felt better when I follow a meat free diet. 
I'm wondering if... possible a totally natural, ages old diet will just about suit me perfectly.
Am I still up for the challenge?  Absolutely!

What would you miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment